Monday, October 9, 2017

Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express Review


Murder on the Orient Express
by Agatha Christie
★★★★★

This is my second Agatha Christie book and I'll admit, I've only picked up the two most popular one's so far, And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. This is, however, my first experience with the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot! He's a really fun, kooky character! I love his mannerisms and his methods for solving this crime. I'd like to read more to see if he's similar in all of his books, which I assume he is!

Murder on the Orient Express, originally published in 1934, is about the murder of a secretive American aboard a train, which happens to be full of passengers from all over the world who seem to not know anything about the murder or each other. Also aboard this train, luckily, is the aforementioned Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. Along with his friend and director of the train line M. Bouc, and a doctor, Dr. Constantine, they piece together the evidence and interviews from all on board to determine who murdered the American.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit! I love how classic the set up and murder is. How classic the solving of the murder is. How classic the characters themselves are. It feels so much like a real murder mystery! You read it and you're trying to figure it out and you really want to know who did it and how! My only complaint, and this is just a personal one, is that I have a very bad memory, I can forget plot points and characters AS I'm reading a book, so for me 13 characters were a lot to juggle, I did fine for the most part, just a little hard. As was And Then There Were None. I haven't researched her other books, though I have a dozen on my shelf, but I wonder if every one of her books has around a dozen characters who all could have done it?

I gave it 5 out of 5 stars as it is very well written and put together. There's a reason Agatha Christie's books are third highest grossing after the bible and Shakespeare!

P.S. I moved this up on my TBR and busted through it because I'm REALLY excited for the new movie coming out! My god, have you seen the trailer? Have you seen this poster? This poster is gorgeous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment